Saturday 28 July 2007

YesBut that was the fourth week of July

With the flooding that occurred in England at the beginning of the week, Noah and his ark would have been a welcome visitor. This time the weather forecasters had it right; for a week in advance they predicted heavy rain, but the Government failed to react adequately, resulting in hundreds of thousands of people left without electricity and drinking water supplies - well done Gordon (I'm the Prime Minister now) Brown .

On Thursday, I wrote about blogging for pleasure, without pressure, and how bloggers can become obsessed by the number of daily hits on their blog. I must say I was supprised when I visited the Saatchi Gallery web site, which claimed to have had 48,800,468 hits in the previous 24 hours. I know the extensive BBC web sites have a massive number of hits everyday, but 48 million for an art gallery! Palls Yesbut’s Images into insignificance - quality rather than quantity say I.

At the beginning of the month I wrote about the start of the Tour De France in London. This was to be a “drug-free” Tour. The “sport had cleaned itself-up”. Well 16 days into the tour and the pre-race favourite Alexandre Vinokourov was the first to withdraw after testing positive for blood doping. Whose fault is it that the Goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg (and believe me the Tour is a massive money spinner), is being killed? The riders, the team managers, the commercial sponsors or the race organiser? All. But ultimately the good name of the event is the responsibility of the organiser.

No comments: